Essay tips, tricks, and treats

Essays. If you're in the midst of our application process, you'll see that we're working with some pretty neat prompts, and we hope they're providing more fun than stress in your (college apps obsessed) life right now! We know that writing essays for any college can be a daunting process; we hope this gives you some tips that will help you navigate our essays, and a sense that most things are just fine with us, if well written and well considered.

If there's only one thing that you take away from this post, it should be this: there is no right way to answer our essay questions. And no wrong way. Anything--so long as you like it and it speaks to you as a great response--is fair game! I know some of you think there may be some kind of locked room where we're holding Waldo--we promise, this isn't the case! We give out unique prompts hoping that you'll see an opportunity to take the prompt in whatever direction you'd like to. Any topic (well, except a few that I'll suggest avoiding below) is fair game.

A resume is not an essay. A reasonably common way that we'll see students respond to a prompt is by taking the prompt and somehow bending it, alongside a description of an activity--or list of activities--that they participate in, in to essay form. While we're happy to see you discuss something important to you in depth, our essays may not be the best space to provide a laundry list of your achievements and accomplishments. You are welcome to list activities and achievements in your Common Application activities section--trust us, we read these, so we'll already be aware of your fabulous self. It's also important to know that we can learn a lot about you when you're not talking directly about "you"--if one of our prompts speaks to you in a way that lends naturally to you talking about yourself, that is certainly appropriate, but we've also see great essays that have ostensibly no relation to a student or their experiences, but tell us a lot about how that student thinks, and the kinds of things she's thinking about.

Creativity appreciated! But make sure it's authentically "you". We certainly enjoy seeing essays that are neat combinations of style and substance-- but don't skimp on the substance. I recall a great essay that took us from "Playdoh to Plato" (one of last year's prompts) as an example, in which a student discussed the topic as a fictitious dialogue between Plato and Socrates. But it was clear that this student's essay really lent itself to that format--and that the ideas contained in the presentation were solid, interesting, and well considered. If your essay makes the most sense as a dialogue, or a short story, or something other than a 'traditional' 5-paragraph piece, go for it! But: don't just feel the need to be creative for the sake of having done something creative. Style cannot make up for an essay that lacks substance--an acrostic poem spelling UCHICAGO with only one word per letter may not be the best choice. If you're not a person who often likes to express yourself through rap, poetry, or songwriting, your college application essay is not the time to start. An essay with well considered ideas in a traditional format will carry you much further than a super-quirky format with few solid ideas to back it up. Creativity and originality are certainly much appreciated in our application process, but make sure to ask yourself a very important question: am I presenting this idea or this format because it is the way I feel I can best express myself and my ideas? Is making a statement about this topic--or making my statement in this way--truly important to me? Or am I doing it just for the sake of doing it?

Avoid the TMI. Just go through a big breakup? We've been there, and we sympathize, but it may be better to process the experience with your parents, friends, or counselor than through your essay. Same goes for a detailed description of your current crush, your bodily functions, etc... discussions of personal experiences that have affected your life are certainly not off limits, but please do your best to make sure that it doesn't cross a line in to "inappropriate" territory.

Edit, edit, edit. We don't want you to lose sight of your ideas and yourself, but it is important to make sure that SOMEONE looks at your essay to catch typos, sentence fragments, or [INSERT NAME OF OTHER COLLEGE] moments. Having a trusted teacher, older friend, or parent edit your work can be really helpful in catching these lingering uh-ohs. At UChicago, we suggest keeping your extended essay at 1-2 pages, single or double spaced, and shorter essays at or around 2-3 paragraphs; if you're exceeding that suggestion, having another set of eyes look over your work can be really helpful in determining ways you may consider making your work a bit more concise. We'll read every word you write, but we're much more enthusiastic about the second page than the thirteenth page [note: please no thirteen page essays!]

Tl;dr: Be yourself. You are probably awesome! Feel free to be creative, but don't cross the line in to crazy or inappropriate. And make sure someone--anyone!--reads your essays, even if just for typos, before you submit them.

42 Comments

Raven Whitmore said:

Ah! I've already submitted my application for EA but I'm pretty sure my essays follow these guidelines. Wooo! :)

Raven Whitmore said:

This was so helpful! I'm really excited to complete my essays. Thank you!

Katie Mai said:

Thank you, Grace Chapin for this post! On the whole, this post intrinsically re-motivated me after I thought I had been burned out from all the essays. :)

Katie Mai said:

Susie Watts said:

As a private college counselor, I think your advice for students is right on. The more information students have to help them write better college essays, the better.

College Direction
Denver, Colorado
http://www.collegedirection.org

Dorian said:

This was so incredibly helpful. It's nice to know I can just let out my creativity!

Morgan Kavanagh said:

If you find Waldo, will you let us know?

Morgan Kavanagh said:

Koo, Keun Ho said:

Thanks for the advice! It's been a great help. I love how UChicago set unique and creative extended essay prompts. I laughed even before I started writing (wha...Waldo?!).

p.s.) Thank you for the extension deadline for EA applicants.

Kaundinya Pochampally said:

Thank you very much Ms. Chapin. At the eleventh hour I was stuck in a mad rush to figure out if my essays were appropriate for UChicago and this article definitely boosted my confidence!

Kaundinya Pochampally said:

Veevek Shah said:

I loved this advice. This is why I love UChicago. It makes a daunting task of writing essays seem so much fun. It encourages you to be yourself.

Veevek Shah said:

Grace Li said:

This is the reason why I love UChicago. It's the only school that would ever have tl;dr on its webpage. :)

Jayashree Satish Rao said:

Applying to the University of Chicago has been a wonderful experience! I hope to continue my alliance with the institution. :-)

Jayashree Satish Rao said:

Anna Zhang said:

The best college admission web pages I have ever seen. Give students clear sense and enthusiasm to apply for the University of Chicago.

Maegan Kae Z. Sunaz said:

I submitted my EA app and I'm so relieved. Thank you for the guidelines

Maegan Kae Z. Sunaz said:

I submitted my EA app and I'm so relieved. Thank you for the guidelines Miss Chapin :D

Connor Grill said:

This is great advice; I'd bet that the admission officers truly get a "kick" out of reading all of crazy essays they receive!

Connor Grill said:

This is great advice; I'd bet that the admission officers truly get a "kick" out of reading all of the crazy essays they receive!

Why I love Essay tips, tricks, and treats?i don't know.
Thank

Thank

Your Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job!.

Kai Cameron said:

Great column. You sound exactly like someone I'd love to know. Keep celebrating you. The world needs a lot more people just like you. Thanks for your honesty.

trends info said:

These days, Some allow a lot of concern to make reviews in webpage content and have put reviews sometimes a lesser amount of.

It is perfect a chance to develop plans for the future and it is the perfect time to be at liberty. I have check out this publish of course, if I can My partner and i wish to propose people few exciting issues or perhaps tips. Perhaps people can compose subsequent posts mentioning the next few paragraphs. My spouse and i want to read even more reasons that!

Hello.This post was extremely remarkable, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last Monday.

alex said:

This Study Guide addresses the undertaking of writing dissertation. It expects to encourage you to feel positive about the development of this augmented bit of composing.

James Harlan said:

It looks to me that the best trick of having a good essay is knowing what you really wanted to share. Furnishing it with personalize touches surely put it into success.

Laila Ujayli said:

The University of Chicago has the most glorious essay prompts, writing this essay is what I am most excited about in this entire college app process. Thanks for the tips Ms Chapin!

Runkai Cui said:

Hi Grace! Saw you in several videos in U of Chicago videos. This article is just so helpful!!!
THX!

Melissa Mahan said:

Thanks! I'd been feeling as though I'd burned out and this was very helpful, giving me some much-needed guidance as to length and content. The prompts themselves provide a wonderful creative outlet for us applicants, giving us a break from humbly bragging about our accomplishments and allowing us to just WRITE. Thank you Ms. Chapin, and thank you UChicago

Suzzie said:

Hi Grace, lot of students face problem while writing a college admission essay. The tips are really going to help them out. Thanks for sharing this useful tips.

JIHEE KIM said:

I was so stressed out about the extended essay until I read your article. I can already sense the uniqueness of University of Chicago just through the essay prompts.

Thank you so much for your help Grace!

replica bags said:

Essay tips, tricks, and treats - The Uncommon Blog | The Office of College Admissions at the University of Chicago replica bags

Pristine item!! Thanks so much, can't wait to use it!!!!!!

Thanks. Super fast shipment.

I like All of these 6286.pink2.net These are generally Very good And in addition Tasteful Products I actually have IS That individuals Would not Invest in Such 6286.pink2.net More quickly

I absolutely love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.
Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting
to create my own site and would love to learn where you
got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Appreciate it!