Guest post: the greening of AEPi, Part 1

| | Comments (0)
Guest post from Ari Epstein, a SAGE Ambassador and a fourth year in the College.

Before I became a SAGE Ambassador at the end of Spring Quarter last year, I contacted the Office of Sustainability on behalf of the Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) fraternity. Because of my interest in reforming in-house and party practices to be more environmentally conscious, the fraternity elected me to institute pro-sustainability changes as co-house manager of our South Campus house.

Ari-composting.jpg
Ari Epstein of AEPi

Members of the Office of Sustainability made my task very easy by providing advice on gradually implementing reforms in a large social organization like a fraternity and information on electronic, print, and city resources. Despite the lack of higher quality of photos in this series, I am pleased to share AEPi's successful sustainability reforms with the University community in order to generate interest among other large social RSOs to reduce their carbon footprint and overall environmental impact and to streamline existing sustainability measures like recycling.

Ari-composting2.jpg
Composting made fun

Ari-composting3.jpg
Ari lined the converted trash can with mesh to help keep pests at bay

Beginning shortly after my SAGE training, I introduced small changes to the fraternity by increasing in-house recycling, promoting awareness of electricity and water usage, and starting an aerobic composting bin made out of a converted 45-gallon plastic trash can lined with wire mesh (above). I now use old deli or produce bags to store fresh food scraps in the refrigerator until I bring down my weekly collection of waste and recyclables. Because I have a continuing ant problem and am cautious to develop a gnat problem, this system seems to work well.

Ari-composting4.jpg
The completed DIY compost bin next to AEPi's South Campus house

Click here to learn about AEPi's sustainable practices for social gatherings in part two of the series.  

Categories

,