Witness to History

| | Comments (5) | TrackBacks (0)
The Blog that Works wants to know:
thaliavalois.jpg
  • Where were you on Inauguration Day?
  • Who was with you?
  • What about the day will you remember 20 years from now?
  • What was the biggest mark Chicago left on inauguration events? 
Answer by commenting below.  More UC Student Inauguration Coverage.

Categories

, ,

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Witness to History.

TrackBack URL for this entry: https://blogs.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/125

5 Comments

Erin said:

I was sick in bed in Indiana with no internet connection, so I think I may be the last Chicagoan on earth who still hasn't seen the speech!

Erin Sweeney said:

I watched the inauguration at the Guest Quarters American Club in Lagos, Nigeria. It was standing room only with several hundred Americans, Nigerians, and other ex-pats huddled into the bar and restaurant. I will never forget sharing that moment with not just Americans but tons of passionate Nigerian supporters. It was amazing.

David H said:

I watched the inauguration at the Blue Gargoyle Service Center with staff and students. I hope I remember: "We encounter each other in words, words spiny or smooth, whispered or declaimed; words to consider, reconsider" from Elizabeth Alexander's poem.

Natasha said:

I was in D.C. sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.You couldn't see a thing, but I think the great part about being at inauguration is seeing everyone else who is there, experiencing with you. A man was standing directly behind us waving a 60's era U.S. Flag with a peace sign instead of stars. Another man joined him and they recited MLK's "I had a dream speech." I'm probably an unwanted extra in a lot of people's photos and videos now...but I did have the best seat to the second greatest speech that day.

Ellie P. said:

I thought I was lucky enough to be awarded a Purple ticket, but ended up stuck in a crowd of 5,000-10,000 people from 7am right up until the event began. Fortunately we fought our way through and made it to the capital lawn just as Aretha Franklin started singing. It was definitely worth the two twelve-hour drives in cramped rental car and 4 hours waiting in an impatient but enthusiastic crowd just be there when he was introduced as President for the first time!