Million Dollar Quartet: An American Flashback

| | Comments (6) | TrackBacks (0)

Showing at the Apollo Theater in Lincoln Park, Million Dollar Quartet is a play that is based on the true-life event of the night when Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, and Jerry Lee Lewis came together to play music.

The show wasn't performed at a sold-out, million-dollar theater, but rather in a tiny, old auto-parts store in Mississippi where all four had gotten their start. Sam Phillips, the man who had turned the store into a the small recording studio and named it Sun Records, narrated the entire play. He talked of the lives of each star, from before and after their big break, and the kind of transformation each musician had to go through in order to find his unique sound.

The theater itself was filled with teenagers, and senior citizens, and everybody in between, but it spoke to every age group on a unique level. The play was nostalgic and inspiring at the same time, reminding us of the amazing era of the American synthesis of blues, jazz, and rock as well as the beautifully American dream of starting at nothing and working towards everything.

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Million Dollar Quartet: An American Flashback.

TrackBack URL for this entry: https://blogs.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/243

6 Comments

I bet this play has a good review from the audience..

Lee said:

This is great. No better way than to entertain an audience huh..?

Ken Pedersen said:

I am curious.
I saw on a concert website that Jerry Lee Lewis
was scheduled to appear at the U. Of Chicago
on September 10th.
Could this be in connection with an appearance
at the Million Dollar Quartet.
Anybody have any further information ?

Amazingly this same web site has listed
him appearing at the Congress Theatre in
Chicago on July 9th along with his sister
Linda Gail Lewis.

Anybody know anything ?

Thanks

Ken

POP said:

I get pleasure from, cause I discovered just what I was taking a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye